Which one among electric toothbrushes and manual tooth brushes are better? The answer differs from one person to the other. Both the toothbrushes are widely used by people for cleaning their teeth. However, both these tooth brushes have their pros and cons which lead to the differences in opinion.
Before we go into the details, it should be mentioned that the manual brushes require you to wash your teeth using your own strokes while the electric toothbrushes ensure proper brushing by using electric power and requires the user to simply hold them.
The manual toothbrush has several advantages for which people prefer them even in this digital age. Have a look:
- You can brush freely, just the way you like. You can adjust the amount of pressure applied to the gums and teeth. This is not possible with electric brushes since they carry on with their own, fixed pressure.
- These brush heads do not get damaged even if they slip and fall from your hand accidentally.
It offers a variety of bristles to choose from. So, if you have sensitive gums, go for the one with soft bristles. Others who prefer a more forceful rinse of their teeth may go for the harder bristles.
- These brush heads are simple and easy to carry. You do not need to be extra careful while handling or storing them or carrying them while travelling unlike the electric ones.
- No batteries or chargers are required. So, it is a hassle-free way of brushing. You do not need to buy batteries and store them for future use.
- It comes in a range of colors and shapes so that a feel-good factor gets added to brushing. You can choose pick a brush head favorite color.
- These are economic and often come free with toothpastes.
- The whole procedure is much simpler than that in electric tooth brushes. Though the electric toothbrushes help in brushing in the right manner, they require you to get acclimatized to the way of using them first, without making use of toothpaste at the early stage. In case of a manual brush, you may use toothpaste right from the day of purchase.
However, they have some negatives associated with them, for which some people are shifting to electric tooth brushes now. These are:
- It requires one to use proper brushing techniques. So, if you do not know the art of brushing properly, you will not be able to maintain proper oral hygiene.
- Since there is no timer associated with the brush, you do not know whether you are brushing for the adequate time.
- Children have difficulties in learning the techniques of brushing using these brush heads. You have to keep on teaching them or helping them with it till they grow a bit older and learn to do it themselves.
- The manual brush heads are bigger in size and hence cannot clean one tooth at a time with precision.
Now, let us come to the other type of brush heads, i.e. the electric ones.
These brushes have the following advantages over the manual brush heads:
- They are more efficient at removing plaques and fighting gum diseases than the normal toothbrushes. This is a statistically proven fact.
- The brush has the ability to clean your teeth in the most perfect way on its own! You just need to hold it properly and it’ll do the rest.
- Children can learn brushing on their own using these brushes and you don’t have to waste your time on it. Also, they find it interesting to brush using this type of tooth brush and pick up the habit of brushing more easily. So, if you have children who do not like to brush regularly, using electric tooth brushes can be a good way to arouse their interests.
- It comes with a built in timer and ensures that you brush for the sufficient time. You do not have to look at the clock or measure time on your own.
- It produces better results since it adopts better techniques to brush your teeth than you yourself would follow without requiring you to put in much effort.
The disadvantages are:
- If they accidentally fall, they may become dysfunctional.
- These brushes cost more than the manual ones. There are different types of electric brushes such as the side-to-side sonic brushes and rotation oscillation powdered brushes. The powdered brushes cost even more than the other variety of electric toothbrush.
- You need to charge them regularly.
- It is suggested that you buy some extra batteries for these brushes so that you can use them during emergency.
- While you carry these toothbrushes for trips and tours, you need to carry the chargers and batteries along with them.
- You need time to get accustomed to using these tooth brushes.
- During the early days of usage, you can’t use toothpaste. You simply need to use water and go for a fluoride mouth wash separately.
Thus, as you can clearly make out, both the manual and electric toothbrushes have their own shares of advantages as well as disadvantages. So, which brush you choose depends on the parameters to you give priority. For those of you who are looking for the correct brushing technique by putting in the minimum effort or the ultimate way to remove plaques and gum diseases, the electric brushes will be the most suitable ones. On the other hand, if you are not ready to spend much money on your toothbrush considering that you will have to replace it frequently, the manual toothbrushes will be the perfect one for you. This will also work well if you have sensitive gums and teeth and need to brush with soft bristles and less pressure. Again, if you do not want to take the trouble of using chargers and batteries, go for the manual brushes.